First and foremost, I hope you’ve all been busy sharing some good times with friends and family during the past few weeks, and that you’ve celebrated your respective holidays with lots of great food, frivolity and a little reflection as well. We just returned from celebrating a most lovely Christmas with my mom out of town, and it was wonderful to be with her and to have the chance to spend some quality time together. Thanks for having us mom, you’re the best and we love you!
Second, I’d like to share a great surprise that happened on my way out of town for the holiday. I discovered that I’d been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award by Sharyn at The Kale Chronicles and also by Eva over at Kitchen Inspirations. Wow! What an unexpected honor, and a super Christmas present, to boot! Sharyn’s blog, The Kale Chronicles, features her inventive recipes using ingredients from her CSA box, and for each post she creates bright and charming watercolor illustrations to go along with the subject, a unique and quite wonderful approach. Eva at Kitchen Inspirations is a graphic designer like myself, and hails from Canada. Her blog features some diverse and terrific sounding recipes along with lovely photographic images (she’s quite a stylist and shooter, too), as well as tales of her travels and culinary adventures…it’s a terrific read. Thank you both so much for honoring me with this special award and congratulations to you both on your nominations as well.
So here’s how this award works, and I’ll do my best to get this as right as I can, but should I happen to bestow this upon someone who has it already, I’m sorry…I probably didn’t see it on your blog. Please just know I was thinking of you and don’t worry about it…after all, these things should be fun and it’s always nice to know you are well thought of, yes?
The conditions of this lovely award are:
- Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post.
- Share 7 things about yourself.
- Pass this award along to 15 blogs you enjoy reading
- Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.
7 little known facts about me:
1. Well, if you read the About Me section of this blog and the intro to this post, you already know I’m a graphic designer. What you may not know is that I’ve had my own business for 23 years…and have been in the business for 30. Yep, that’s right, I was a child prodigy! 😉
2. Although I’ve lived in this big city in Georgia for 30 years, I was born and bred in Alabama and you can see more about my interesting little hometown here.
3. My husband and I have two cats…or maybe I should say they have us. They’re sisters and their names are Cinderella and Thumbelina…so named by the shelter they were rescued from and the names stuck. Their mother was part Bengal and they are, um, very large girls. Cinderella is skinny and weighs in at 11.8 pounds and Thumbelina is a big, round, 13.8 pounder. Or at least that was their weight in July…who knows how big they are now! They are very sweet kitties with huge personalities to go with their size, and they add so much joy and laughter to our lives.
4. Orange is my favorite color. I think it’s a happy color. My car is orange, my business notebook is orange, my business card has orange on it, my immersion blender is orange, as are my orange juice squeezer, my kitchen utencil jar, my chef’s apron and the collars and tags on the cats….all orange, all the time. Orange is the new Red, don’t you know. My husband is originally from Florida…the orange state. I wasn’t happy on the day I found out that Home Depot had stolen my signature color!
5. I’d planned to go into journalism in college…but decided I had more talent and interest in art, and commercial art in particular, so I changed direction. This blog is sort of a coming out party from that initial closet desire to write.
6. I come from a long line of very fine home cooks…my mother, her mother and my aunt to name a few. I’ve never taken a cooking lesson, but I did take one pasta making class. Alas, I’ve still never made pasta, I’m ashamed to say.
7. Amongst my many career ambitions as a child, I wanted to be a jockey and race horses. After that rapidly became out of the question, I decided I wanted to be a marine biologist…but since I have no head for mathematics, I eventually became content to study and observe marine life instead, and hence my endless fascination with the ocean and it’s creatures.
So enough about me for now and on to the meat of the matter, nominating other deserving (and hopefully not previously nominated) blogs that I enjoy reading. In no particular order, here are my nominees. Please do take a moment to link to them and enjoy reading them yourself!
Hmmm… is that 15? I think I mentioned that I don’t have a head for mathematics! I’m going to link to some other folks that I follow, some of whom are currently on my blog roll and some who will be soon. I encourage you to go see their blogs, as well as the others I have listed on the sidebar of my home page, because I really do think you’ll have fun reading their posts. And to these folks below…I know you’ve already received this award, but since I want some of my readers to know about you and enjoy you as I do, I’m going off on my own tangent and taking this opportunity to share you with others. Consider this the “B&B Nod.” And if I’m mistaken and you haven’t yet gotten the Versatile Blogger Award…you have now!
From the Bartolini Kitchens
The Kitchen’s Garden
Outtakes on the Outskirts
Savoring Every Bite
Rufus’ Food and Spirits Guide
Olives and Artichokes
Just a Smidgen
The Plum Palate
I look forward to reading more posts from each and every one of you next year, and to discovering more folks out there in the blogosphere to share adventures with. I wish everyone a new year that is happy, and happily full of reading!