This recipe is from the post: An Owl, a Song and a Gift to Make.
Note: I made a couple of changes based on my experience yesterday that I think are helpful, but you can follow the original recipe by clicking above.
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 3/4 cup orange blossom honey
- 1/2 cup walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil (I used EVOO because I like the olive flavor in the mix)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or rosemary leaves) plus 2 sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 4 whole dried chiles de árbol
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 8-10 minutes, and watch carefully. Let cool. Break the walnuts into coarse pieces; set aside.
Whisk honey and oil in a medium bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in walnuts, thyme, and lemon zest. Into each of two 8-oz. jars, place 2 dried chilies and 2 sprigs of thyme. Divide the honey walnut mixture evenly between the two jars…the oil will separate a bit from the honey. Cover and chill.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 month ahead. Keep chilled. Stir before using.